Friday 5 June 2009

Nulli Secundus

Sixty Five years ago my grandfather was preparing for D day. I don't know what he was thinking, but as he was also one of the last out of Dunkirk a sense of pride in getting back across the channel to Europe must have been foremost in his mind. He was subsequently wounded in the breakout from Normandy and that was his war over. In the post war years he led a quiet life, until an untimely early death from cancer. He was the stick man in a senior regiment and must have been a hard so and so, but his gentle nature is all I remember of him. I wonder what he would have felt about the country he fought for now. Would he even recognise it?

I don't thing he would approve if I'm honest with our world standing at present. In fact neither am I. The European elections took place yesterday and for the first time in my life I didn't vote for any of the main parties. I don't see any of the usual suspects as representing my views on Europe.The straw that broke the camel's back was the Queen not being invited to the anniversary events in France. Forget protocol she should have got the ferry over and attended invite or not.

Europe has started to control our country and Nulabor have embedded it's blueprint in law through the Human Rights Act. Any party that has the abolition of this legislation as point one in it's manifesto will get my vote. Did anybody vote for all this European power over our British Sovereign Law? The drip drip effect has to stop soon and some parties have to wake up to that fact.

Call me a little Englander and I don't care, is that a bad thing to be? I have lived in Germany for 2 years and National Pride is still evident, although muted from losing the war. Incidentally in all that time I'd never met a German who'd admitted fighting against us.

We need some British pride back, but that doesn't mean protest votes going to extremist parties like the racist BNP. The government is about to fall and we're not politically ready for the radical changes that the people want.

We are second to none .. and need to start showing that. We owe it to those who gave their lives 65 years ago fighting against what would have been a "united" Europe.

No comments:

Post a Comment