Thursday 2 July 2009

Crime And Punishment V Compassion

I posted earlier in the year about Ronnie Biggs and stated then I believed he should be freed on humanitarian grounds. Of course rules being rules he had to serve a third of his sentence before being eligible for parole. I'm rather surprised that this has now been turned down as he does not show sufficient remorse for his crimes.

There are hundred's of prisoners released early each year who I see showing no remorse for their crimes. They are sorry, but only for getting caught in the first place. Their view of punishment is - You don't get punished for what you do but for getting caught doing it. They then return to a life of crime. We can all name individuals who we know get out on parole and go on Burglary sprees until recalled or captured.

I don't think Biggs falls into this category. I wonder if this decision was made before Biggs broke his hip in jail. From what I know this type of injury is very serious for a frail elderly person and it is something he is unlikely to recover from. If the government are worried about a media circus being played out then surely they could put parole conditions in place.

My view remains the same, each case on it's merits and my instinct is that he should be out to die with his family.


No comments:

Post a Comment